Many healthcare providers require you to pay for your healthcare service and then you submit the bill to your insurance company. It is a hassle that sometimes cannot be avoided.
So how do you do you get your insurance company to reimburse you for the bill?
- Get the proper form from your insurance company. You can often get the form from your company’s HR department or go to your insurance company’s website.
- Make sure you get a complete copy of the bill from your medical provider. You want a bill that details all the services you paid for.
- Ask your provider if the bill they are giving you includes all of the services and has the proper billing codes. An insurance company will not pay the bill unless the doctor has put the proper diagnostic and billing codes on the bill.
- Make sure your name and address is correct along with your correct birth date. Your insurance claim will be rejected if there are any mistakes.
- Once complete, submit the form with the bill. Many insurance companies now have a website where you can check to see when they received the form and when your payment was processed.
- Monitor your insurance company to make sure you receive your payment. If they reject the claim, find out why. Often, the doctor has made an error on the billing statement.
Following these 6 easy steps will help you get your insurance claims paid fast and easy.
Tell us whether you have had any problems getting your medical bills paid by your insurance company? We’d love to hear from you!
MyHealthSpin helps you Spin Your Healthcare Your Way!
Check out how more information on insurance in our new book, Easy Healthcare: Choose Your Health Insurance.
Please note: I reserve the right to delete comments that are offensive or off-topic.